Township Board holds Special Meeting, Parks and Recreation to begin opening facilities and amenities
THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors discussed opening up the community during its special meeting via videoconference on Thursday, May 14, 2020.
“We are eager to begin opening facilities and amenities in The Woodlands in a safe and recommended process under the Governor’s Orders,” said Township Chairman Gordy Bunch. “Tonight was a big night of opening more Township programs that follow Governor’s Orders and highly encouraged Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines.”
The Board approved the following:
- Opening dog parks with signs encouraging social distancing.
- Opening limited number of pools to start the summer and a revised fee structure.
- Begin limited recreation programming of recreation centers.
- Opening of Rob Fleming Park and Town Green Park.
- Install nets at all tennis courts.
- Begin opening basketball courts (1 rim per court).
- Opening of Bear Branch disc golf.
- Opening more frequency of community garden hours (with parking restrictions) and Alden Bridge Community Garden on a modified schedule of 5 days per week.
Township parks are open with limitations including Lake Woodlands and Lake Paloma, Riva Row Boat House by a reservation system, pathways and trails, tennis courts, basketball courts, and park restrooms.
Additional amenities open include the archery range, kayak launches, BMX areas, bocce, horseshoe pits, pavilions, benches, BBQ pits, disc golf at Terramont Park, the skate park at Terramont Park, and running/walking tracks.
Facilities and amenities that remain closed through Phase One include: sports complexes, Texas TreeVentures, Lakes Edge Boat House, the skate park at Bear Branch Park, Rob Fleming Aquatic Center, volleyball courts, spraygrounds, facility reservations and special event permits.
With the decision made by the Township Board of Directors late Thursday, May 14, 2020 evening, Parks & Recreation will be working to open all the above in quick manner over the next few days. No definitive timeline has been established, but should be a matter of a few days. The Township will be posting daily communications as these areas are opened.
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors will discuss the opening of playgrounds and sports fields at its next video conference meeting scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday, May 21, 2020.
To see full report of Director of Parks & Recreation Dr. Chris Nunes’ plan presented to the Board of Directors for reopening facilities and amenities in The Woodlands, click here.
The Board approved continuing to hold board meetings by video conference through the end of June and also continued closure of meeting rooms through the end of June 2020.
The Board of Directors additionally discussed the following matters on the Regular Agenda:
- Accepted the written resignation of Brian Boniface from Position 2 as he was called to active duty to serve with the U.S. Army Reserves over the next six months, providing aid to areas heavily affected by COVID-19.
- The Board then ratified all actions taken at its meetings of April 16, 2020, April 22, 2020, April 27, 2020 and April 30, 2020, including the appointment of Director Nelson.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.
Source: The Woodlands Township