Traffic Impact of 2023 IRONMAN Texas in The Woodlands
The Woodlands will be hosting the 2023 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Americas Championship Texas and athletes from around the world on Saturday, April 22, 2023.
On Saturday morning athletes will begin with a 2.4-mile swim in Lake Woodlands, beginning at North Shore Park and ending in the canal at Town Green Park. The 112 mile bike course navigates through The Woodlands, then enters into Northern Harris County where athletes travel two loops on the Hardy Toll Road. The day ends with a 26.2-mile run taking place entirely within The Woodlands and concluding with a spectacular finish on Waterway Ave. View Course Maps
Roads in and around The Woodlands, Texas will be impacted starting as early as 6 a.m. on Saturday, April 22.
Detours and Travel Routes on April 22, 2023:
- GROGAN’S MILL ROAD SOUTHBOUND (FROM NORTH MILLBEND) FROM 7 AM TO 10:30 AM: Take Grogan’s Mill to S Millbend, S Millbend to Glen Loch, Glen Loch to S Panther Creek, S Panther Creek to Flintridge, Flintridge to Cochran’s Crossing.
- GROGAN’S MILL SOUTHBOUND FROM 7 AM TO 10:30 AM: Take Lake Woodlands to Six Pines, Six Pines to Millbend Rd, Mill Bend Rd to Fernridge, Fernridge to S Millbend, S Millbend to Grogan’s Mill.
- GROGANS MILL ROAD NORTHBOUND FROM 7 AM TO 6:15 PM: Take Woodlands Pkwy to Six Pines Dr, Six Pines Dr to Lake Woodlands, Lake Woodlands to Grogan’s Mill Rd.
- LAKE ROBBINS DRIVE WESTBOUND: Unrestricted until Six Pines Dr. Follow directions for Grogans Mill Rd North or Southbound.
- BEST LOCATIONS TO ENTER MARKET STREET: Along Lake Woodlands Dr, Six Pines Dr and Grogans Mill Rd.
- GROGAN’S MILL SOUTHBOUND TOWARDS SAWMILL FROM 10:55 AM TO 6:05 PM: Take Woodlands Pkwy to I-45, I-45 South to Rayford-Sawdust.
- ACCESS TO WOODLANDS PARKWAY (SOUTH BETWEEN GOSLING & SOUTH PANTHER CREEK) FROM 7 AM TO 11 AM: Take Flintridge to Cochran’s Crossing, Take Cochran’s Crossing to Woodlands Pkwy
View and download 2023 IRONMAN Texas Traffic Guide here.
Best Places to Watch
Swim: Along the Lake Woodlands Pkwy Bridge just East of North Shore Park. Also, along the canal between Lake Woodlands and the swim finish (best accessed from the stairs down to the waterway off Grogan’s Mill).
Bike: The streets and neighborhoods are heavily congested during the bike portion of the event. In order to avoid getting stuck out on the course, the best option for the bike start and finish is along Lake Robbins.
Run: Along the waterway (3 loop course), especially near the restaurants close to Waterway Ave and near the transition area. No tents are permitted on the waterway, however North Shore Park is a good place for families/kids mid-day.
Parking: Personal vehicles will not be permitted into The Woodlands Mall, North Shore Park or Market St on race day. Cars parked in these areas are subject to be towed. All athletes and spectators can park in the parking garages off of Lake Robbins Dr. Be advised that all red zone and handicapped parking spaces will be strictly enforced.
View the IRONMAN Texas Spectator Guide here.
For more information about IRONMAN Texas and for maps and course information visit Ironman.com/im-texas.
Stay tuned for more information, photos, and updates from IRONMAN Texas!
Source: IRONMAN Texas