Christmas on Main kicks off Christmas in Downtown Conroe
CONROE, TX – The pandemic is not stopping Christmas from coming to Downtown Conroe! The Annual Tree Lighting will take place on Tuesday, December 1 at 6:00 p.m. at Heritage Park with Christmas on Main immediately following until 8:30 p.m. on the streets of Main, Simonton, and Metcalf. Founder’s Plaza will be the center of music by the Jazz Connection starting promptly at 7:00 p.m. and will also serve as the drop off for tickets to win prizes that night.
Christmas on Main is a collaboration between the City of Conroe and the Conroe Downtown Area Association to bring a family fun event to residents to kick off the “most wonderful time of the year.” In 2017, Mayor Powell asked several volunteers to possibly come up with an event where families could share the excitement of Christmas right after the “official” City of Conroe tree was lighted while everyone was still in the Downtown area. Each year more activities are added to enhance the event and allow the public to visit the merchant shops.
“We are excited to add additional activities this year including the World-Famous Clydesdale horses, sponsored by Express Employment, and new tenants to Downtown – UST-Max Center and Honor Café,” said Rodney Poole, coordinator of the event. “We will have volunteers at 4 information booths located between Heritage Park and Main Street distributing a map of featured activities, venues, and tokens for voting on Christmas decorated windows. Our goal is to have a free family event that brings joy to our Downtown area.”
The streets will be closed off throughout Simonton, Main, and Metcalf in Downtown, with free parking at the City of Conroe parking garages located on Thompson, Simonton, and behind Founder’s Park in the jury lot.
Christmas carolers from the Montgomery County Choral Society and music performed from students with the Jazz Connection will encourage participants at Heritage park to stroll the 2 blocks down Simonton or Metcalf towards the festivities at the Downtown shops and at Founder’s Plaza Park. The information booths at Heritage Park entrance, the corner of Main/Simonton, and Main/Metcalf will have wooden tokens to vote on window displays from participating merchants. Participants will be able to choose their favorite window by dropping a wooden coin into the decorated gift box outside their favorite window display.
Tickets will also be available from the merchants to enter a drawing at 8:15 p.m. for 4 bicycles donated by Bleyl Engineering and Councilman Todd Yancy. All tickets must be taken to Founder’s Plaza Park to be included in the drawing and you must be present to win.
Activities to date:
- Santa will be at Mimi’s on Main
- Pictures with the Bear – Bears ETC.
- Carolers from the Montgomery County Choral Society
- Letter writing to Santa on Simonton by Brownlee Jewelers
- Reindeer food on Main Street
- Santa’s Workshop in Brownlee Jewelers
- Clydesdale horses sponsored by Express Professional Employment in parking lot across from Founder’s Plaza
- Branding Iron Custom Goods, The Players Theatre at the Owen Theatre, Race Ready Repair, Conroe Central Market, Toledo Finance, and Main Street Merchants all hosting Christmas surprises
- Food vendors at parking lot across street from Owen Theatre-Carmelita’s Tamales and Pacific Yard House
- Letters to Santa
- Christmas is for Giving Affordable Gifts at Conroe Art League
- Ornament Decorating at the University of St. Thomas- UST-Max Center
- Cookie Decorating at The Corner Pub
- Gingerbread Houses at Vernele’s New Orleans Bakery and Café
- Coloring Station and Temporary Tattoos at Sweet Texas Treasures
- Honor Café Military Booth
- And the Grinch with Cindy Lou Who!
Festivities begin at Heritage Place Park, 500 Metcalf Street, Conroe at 6:00 p.m.
“We hope everyone comes out for a short time to be part of the inspiration that drives the Christmas season!”
For additional information follow the Downtown Conroe Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/ExperienceHistoricDowntownConroe.