Freeze Watch Midnight Tonight to Tuesday Morning
Montgomery County and surrounding areas will experience very cold temperatures falling to between 25 and 30 degrees by early Tuesday morning. Freeze watch should go into effect midnight will go through 8 a.m. Tuesday morning.
A Freeze Watch means sub-freezing temperatures are possible. These conditions could kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.
Be sure to protect the 4 P’s: People, Pets, Pipes and Plants
Remember your neighbors around you and check on anyone that has limited mobility.
Below are some heating safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February. Some simple steps can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
For help and information on preparing for disasters, download our new preparedness app ReadyMCTX to your mobile device. Now is the time to prepare.
To receive emergency alerts to your phone or email from Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management, register at https://www.mc911.org/page/ecd.AlertMCTX. When you are creating your profile, you must check the box next to Share my Smart911 Profile with TX-Montgomery-County-911 to support emergency preparedness.
Stay informed and monitor conditions for Montgomery County and the surrounding area on the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management website www.mctxoem.org.