Fitness & Sports
John Cooper School’s Spring Sports in Full Swing
THE WOODLANDS, TX – The John Cooper School’s spring sports teams have begun season play.
VARSITY TRACK & FIELD
- 2/18 at The Woodlands High School Invitational
Scoring Points for Cooper (Top-8 Finishes)
The Woodlands HS Invitational:
- Amir Rizvi: 1st place – 200m
- Kaden Schwertner: 8th place – 200m
- Nico Signorelli: 2nd place – Pole Vault
- Milla Signorelli: 7th place – Pole Vault
- 2/18 at The Woodlands Christian Invitational
Scoring Points for Cooper (Top-8 Finishes)
Woodlands Christian Invitational:
- Eli Grzelewski: 6th place – 100m
- Santiago Fernandez-Villarreal: 8th place – 100m
- Aedan Lanigan: 4th place – 800m
- Ryan Taylor: 8th place – 1600m
- Alexis Seymour: 3rd place – 1600m
- Megan Day: 4th place – 1600m
- Onese Ewherido: 5th place – High Jump
- Alyssa Kuang: 5th place – High Jump
“The Cooper Track & Field teams opened their season by splitting forces between The Woodlands High School and The Woodlands Christian Academy,” said Coach Matt Bohan. “While only a handful of athletes competed at The Woodlands HS, they made their presence known, scoring points amongst some of the Top 5A and 6A public schools. Junior Amir Rizvi finished first in the 200m Dash with a time of 22.28, just .03 seconds off his school record. Junior pole vaulter, Nico Signorelli finished in second place clearing a height of 13’6”.”
The remainder of the team competed well at the Woodlands Christian Invitational with several athletes scoring points for Cooper. Acting Head Coach Jeremy Eddington was impressed with the team’s opening day: “We were excited with today’s performances. Our kids were eager to compete and came out and performed well. We have a lot of work to do, but we now have something to build on as we saw some promising outcomes today.”
Next up for Dragon Track & Field:
- 2/25 at Dick Phillips Relays, Episcopal HS, 9 a.m.
- 3/3-4 at St. John’s Maverick Relays
- 2/14 at Lutheran South • 11-1 L
- 2/16 vs Woodlands Christian • 3-1 W 2/17 vs Northland Christian • 13-4 L 2/18 vs Houston Christian • 3-1 L
Next up for Dragon Baseball:
- 2/21 at Tomball Kings at Premier Baseball of Texas, 3:30 p.m.
- 2/25 vs. Woodlands Christian, 10 a.m.
- 2/25 vs. Saint Mary’s Hall, 12:30 p.m.
- 2/13 at The Woodlands Christian Academy • scrimmage
“All my student-athletes are finally back to play ball!” said Coach Nicole Hedden. “Why not start our first full practice with a scrimmage against TWCA? We did some great things to get back in the swing of things and I’m looking forward to a great season.”
- 2/14 vs First Baptist Christian Academy • 16-1 W
“Great win!” said Coach Hedden. “Eight hits and one error.”
- 2/16 vs Incarnate Word • 18-3 W
“Cameron Patterson was on the mound, for four innings, allowing two hits and three runs while striking out two and walking one,” shared Coach Hedden. “Cooper hit one home run on the day. Grace Minarovic went for the long ball in the first inning. The team gathered 12 hits thanks to multiple hits by Maggie Flinn, Madison Rogers, Grace Minarovic and Ella Howard. We started the season with a bang! I am so excited about this season.”
Next up for Dragon Softball:
- 2/24 at Fort Bend Christian Academy Invitational
- vs St. Pius X, 10 a.m.
- vs Fort Bend Christian Academy, 2 p.m.
- 2/25 at Fort Bend Christian Academy Invitational\
- vs Incarnate Word, 9 a.m.
- vs Heights High School, 11 a.m.
- 2/27 at St. John XXIII, 4 p.m.
- 2/17 at Episcopal Tournament, Metropolitan Racquet Club
- Mahi Khurana – first place boys A singles
- Luke Smith finalist boys B singles
- Theo Nemeth and Parker Gregory finally boys A doubles
- Maria Villarreal finalist girls B singles
- Silvana Pescador consolation winner B singles
- Ava Adam and Maddie Burchfiel consolation winner B doubles
Next up for Dragon Tennis:
- 2/24 at Chancellors Tournament, Chancellors Racquet Club, 8 a.m.
- 2/28 vs. St. Johns*, 4 p.m.
- 3/3 at TTC Private School Championships, 8 a.m.
Next up for Dragon Golf:
- 2/28 at Kinkaid Invitational, Blackhorse Country Club
- 3/7 at Episcopal Invitational, Quail Valley Golf Course
The John Cooper School is a PK-12 independent, college preparatory day school that has been serving The Woodlands and greater Houston area since 1988.
For more information, visit www.johncooper.org.