The Woodlands Township Board holds meeting; issues three proclamations
THE WOODLANDS, TX – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held its regular meeting on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at The Woodlands Township Town Hall, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard in The Woodlands, Texas.
The Board of Directors received reports from the villages of Alden Bridge and Indian Springs.
Before addressing regular business items, the Board of Directors issued three proclamations.
Amarachukwu Oguchi, a senior at The John Cooper School, was honored as Track and Field State Champion and for winning a pair of gold medals in shotput and discus. The Rice University signee won the shot put with a toss of 42 feet, 2 inches and won by 8 feet. Oguchi took the discus crown with a heave of 146 feet and won by an astounding 42 feet. Oguchi set two new school records, was recognized as John Cooper School’s Female Athlete of the Year and has earned an athletic scholarship to Rice University. The Board of Directors proclaimed May 26, 2021 Amarachukwu Oguchi Day in The Woodlands, Texas.
The Board of Directors also recognized Kennedy Doakes and Joshua English, members of The Woodlands High School Track & Field team, for winning two gold medals at the recent UIL State Track & Field Championship in Austin, Texas and proclaimed May 26, 2021, as The Woodlands High School Track and Field State Champions Day. Doakes was the lone female athlete from The Woodlands competing in the championship and won gold in the high jump at 5 feet, 9 inches and took bronze in the triple jump at 39-5.00. English represented The Woodlands by winning a gold medal for finishing the 800-meter event at 1:50:95.
To honor and remember all victims and survivors of gun violence, the Board of Directors proclaimed June 4, 2021 as National Gun Violence Awareness Day in The Woodlands, Texas. Every day, 100 Americans are killed by gun violence and on average there are nearly 13,000 gun homicides every year.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Approved conveyance of 45 Open Space Reserves in the Village of Creekside Park.
- Awarded a bid for Grogan’s Mill Nature Trail Bridge Replacement.
- Approved an Amended and Restated Major Event Venue Sponsor Agreement with The Woodlands Convention & Visitors Bureau, doing business as Visit The Woodlands.
- Awarded a bid for playground equipment at Cattail Park, Turnstone Park and Pachyderm Park.
The Board of Directors discussed the following matters on the Regular Agenda:
- Approved an Interlocal Agreement with Woodlands Water Agency for Communication Towers at Terramont Park and Fire Station #3.
- Took no action on next steps in the Incorporation planning process.
- Accepted the Plan of Finance and authorized staff, the financial advisor and bond counsel to proceed with the Unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds, Series 2021.
- Approved the following in connection with the issuance of Unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds, Series 2021: (i) Adopted Resolution No. 010-21, Approval of a Contingent Fee Contract for Legal Services relative to the engagement of Special Tax Counsel; (ii) Authorized Bracewell, L.L.P., to serve as Special Tax Counsel for the Unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds, Series 2021, and authorize the President/General Manager to execute the engagement letter in connection therewith; (iii) Designated Bank of New York Mellon Trust Company, N.A., as Paying Agent/Registrar and Escrow Agent for the Unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds, Series 2021, and authorized staff to proceed with obtaining related agreements for approval by the Board of Directors at its meeting scheduled for June 23, 2021; and (iv) Designated Public Finance Partners, L.L.C., as Verification Agent in connection with the Unlimited Tax Refunding Bonds, Series 2021.
- Accepted an update on the Spring Creek Greenway Project.
- Accepted an update on the Gosling Road Widening and Bridge project.
- Received a briefing on the 2021 Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival.
- Accepted the financial report.
- Approved amending the current policy for a fire service response fee for gas line breaks.
- Authorized the President/General Manager to execute a Task Order with Jones|Carter to conduct a preliminary feasibility study to construct a parking structure at Alden Bridge Sports Park and present the findings during the 2022 Budget Process.
- Accepted the proposal from Burditt Land|Place Consultants to provide planning and design services for Falconwing Park and authorized the President/General Manager to negotiate and execute a Professional Services Agreement within the budget amount. If negotiations fail with Burditt Land|Place Consultants, the President/General Manager is authorized to negotiate with the second ranking firm, and so on until an agreement can be reached.
- Approved involvement in the Urban County Qualification for Participation in the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program for the Fiscal Year 2022-2024.
Please stay connected to The Woodlands Township through many communications channels. Learn more and sign up at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/stayinformed. Follow the Township’s official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/thewoodlandstownship.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.