Art & Culture
CISD Students’ Talent on Display at Western Art Show
CONROE, TX – Conroe ISD held its annual Western Art Show competition on Saturday, January 8, at McCullough Junior High. The open house involved over 650 pieces of drawn and painted art in addition to over 25 sculptures all portraying a western theme.
Conroe ISD students in grades K-12 across all 65 campuses were showcased in the display prepared by District art teachers for judging. An independent panel of judges chose the top 25 high school, top 10 junior high, and top 10 elementary finalists to represent the District in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) Art Competition on Thursday, January 14.
Students earned the following awards at the HLSR Art Competition:
- Best of CISD Show in Elementary (K-5): Walker Gillen, Giesinger Elementary
- Best of CISD Show in Middle School (6-8): Tamila Pavlova, Knox Junior High
- Best of CISD Show in High School (9-12): Sophia Stowell, TW College Park High School
- Best of CISD Show in Sculpture (9-12): Daphna Hes, TW College Park High School
- Gold Medal in CISD Show Elementary (K-5): Olivia McGeorge, Giesinger Elementary
- Gold Medal in CISD Show Middle School (6-8): Iris Shen, McCullough Junior High
- Gold Medal in CISD Show High School (9-12): Emily Floco, TW College Park High School; Abby Weaver, The Woodlands High School 9th Grade Campus
- Gold Medal of HLSR in Sculpture (9-12): Bright Attah-Yeboah, Oak Ridge High School
- Special Merit in CISD Show High School (9-12): Elliauna Ardiff, Oak Ridge High School; Savannah Spencer, Oak Ridge High School.
McCullough Junior High students, Matthew Uy, Iris Shen, Ashley Inman, and Ashely Castille, also competed against finalists in the Rodeo Quick Draw Competition and swept all award places.
Conroe ISD Coordinator of Fine Arts Dr. Robert Horton commented, “We are extremely proud of our visual arts teachers and their students. The work that they do is exemplary, and we are grateful for the support of the parents, campuses, and community. We take great pride in the opportunity to showcase our student artists, and extend special congratulations to those whose work was selected for awards.”
Best of Show and Gold Medal winners were selected to participate in the HLSR School Art Competition Auction. For a complete list of winners including images, please visit: https://www.conroeisd.net/department/ci/fine-arts/