Junior League Gives Over $80K to Community at Annual Dinner
On May 16, 2017, Junior League of The Woodlands, Inc., (JLTW) hosted its May Annual Dinner to recap the 2016-2017 League year, recognize JLTW members for their contributions, and present over $80,000 to selected community partners through Community Assistance Funds (CAF) and Emergency Relief Funds (ERF). CAF recipient Home Place of Texas provided entertainment for the evening.
“Listening to our partner, Home Place of Texas Performing Arts, sing Lean On Me was a highlight of the night and perfect way to end our year. The community can lean on JLTW, knowing our members are here to help,” said Bobbi Jo Miller, 2016-2017 JLTW President.
Congratulations to the 2017 CAF and ERF awardees: Arrow Ministries, Montgomery County Food Bank, Memorial Hermann Foundation, Texas Children’s Hospital, Tamina Community Center, Aldine Family Hope Center, Angel Reach, Bridging for Tomorrow, CASA Child Advocates of Montgomery County, Cy-Hope, Home Place of Texas, Humble Area Assistance Ministries, Interfaith South County Community Clinic, Love Fosters Hope, Montgomery County Youth Services, Pregnancy Assistance Center North and The Woodlands Children’s Museum.
In addition to monetary donations, each year JLTW supports the local community with over 40,000 volunteer hours valued at $1 million dollars. Highlights for the year include:
- Over $220,000 donated back to the community
- 4800 backpacks with food and over 10,000 snacks delivered to nine schools through H.A.P.P.Y.
- 1800 educators attended IMPACT with $5500 donated to 11 schools through Dollar$ for Districts
- 1100 books donated through Literacy Carnivals to the Aldine community
- 650 children learned healthy eating habits from Kids in the Kitchen
- 120 volunteer shifts completed with 15 community partners through Done in a Day
- 48 lives saved through Healing Hearts blood drive and over 900 activity bags and holiday stockings delivered to three community hospitals
- New Beginnings ministered to 21 human trafficking victims ages 12-16
- REACH funded ten foster care beds, donated over 200 items to the CPS Rainbow Room and delivered 180 meals to at-risk youth.
The League also welcomed 67 Provisionals as newly Active members after successful completion of their first year. The Provisional Class Project, in conjunction with The Giving Gown Foundation, was the most successful joint event the groups have seen yet. The Provisionals collected over 32,000 items for swag bags, almost 1300 dresses and over 2000 accessories/shoes. In three days they volunteered over 900 hours and served as fairy godmothers to 1412 teenage girls.
And lastly, three deserving League members were recognized for their individual contributions to the League, as they went above and beyond to serve throughout the year. Congratulations Allison Tinker (Active of the Year), Alicia May (Sustainer of the Year), and Candice Burrows (Provisional of the Year); your dedication and enthusiasm are truly an asset to the League!
For more information about JLTW, visit www.jlthewoodlands.org or call 281-376-5754.