Fitness & Sports
Steven Alker wins 2023 Insperity Invitational presented by United Healthcare
In just his fifth start of a season already highlighted by two runner-up finishes, Steven Alker claimed his sixth career PGA TOUR Champions title and first of this season at the Insperity Invitational presented by United Healthcare.
Things to Know: Final-Round on Sunday, April 30, 2023
On the strength of the day’s low score of 7-under 65, Steve Stricker collected his second consecutive runner-up finish to Alker at the Insperity Invitational and extended his run of top-10 finishes this season to a perfect 6-for-6. With his finish, Stricker overtook the No. 1 spot in the race for the Charles Schwab Cup. Angling for a second win in his three most recent starts (The Galleri Classic), David Toms claimed his fourth top-10 finish at the Insperity Invitational and third in a row at the event. In his bid for a record 46th PGA TOUR Champions title, 4-time Insperity Invitational winner Bernhard Langer finished T23 at even-par 216.
Steven Alker (1st/-15)
- In just his fifth start of the season, the reigning Charles Schwab Cup champion closed the Insperity Invitational with a bogey-free 6-under 66 to claim a 4-stroke margin of victory
- With the 66, Alker extends his streak of sub-par rounds this season to a perfect 15-for-15
- As he did last year, Alker played his inward nine in the final round in 5-under to again win by four strokes over Steve Stricker
- Not only does Alker become the second player to successfully defend an Insperity Invitational title (Bernhard Langer/2007-08), but he also now shares with Langer the distinction of winning the event in his first two starts
- With the win, Alker jumps three spots in the Charles Schwab Cup standings to No. 3
- In 54-hole events on PGA TOUR Champions, Alker moves to 3-for-5 when attempting to convert a 36-hole lead/co-lead into victory (won: 2022 Rapsican Systems Classic and 2022-23 Insperity Invitational)
- In addition to this week’s victory, Alker earned runner-up finishes this season at the Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai and The Galleri Classic (won by Steve Stricker and David Toms, respectively)
- With four of his five previous wins on PGA TOUR Champions coming in 2022, the 2023 Insperity Invitational marks his first win since the 2022 Dominion Energy Charity Classic
On the strength of nine final-round birdies to close with the day’s low score of 7-under 65, Steve Stricker extended his run of top-10 finishes this season to a perfect 6-for-6; he was seeking his 13th career win on PGA TOUR Champions and second of the season (Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai). Colin Montgomerie closed his ninth Insperity Invitational with a bogey-free 4-under 68 to finish T3 at 8-under 208. Seeking a second win in his three most recent starts (The Galleri Classic), David Toms’ T3 finish marks his fourth top-10 finish at the Insperity Invitational and third in a row at the event. In his quest for a record 46th career PGA TOUR Champions title, 2007, 2008, 2014 and 2018 Insperity Invitational champion Bernhard Langer closed with a 3-under 69 to finish T23.
For more information about the Insperity Invitational, visit www.insperityinvitational.com, on Instagram @insperityinvitational, Twitter @InsperityInvtnl, or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/InsperityInvitational.
Source: Insperity Invitational