Art Month proclaimed, Residential Survey results, Awards recognized at Board Meeting
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors Regular Meeting was held on Wednesday, February 27 at 4 p.m. at the office of The Woodlands Township located at 2801 Technology Forest Blvd, The Woodlands, Texas.
- The month of April 2019 was proclaimed as “Arts Month in The Woodlands.”
- The Woodlands Christian Academy girls swim team recognized for the TAPPS 4A State Championship
- Texas Task Force 1 Appointments announced by The Woodlands Fire Department
- 2019 Texas Gold Medal Award and 2019 Promotions and Marketing Excellence Award recognition
- Village updates presented by Alden Bridge, Cochran’s Crossing and Indian Springs
- 2019 Residential Survey results were reported from 1,200 completed surveys received (24% response rate)
Arts Month in The Woodlands Proclamation
A proclamation was made stating the month of April as Arts Month in The Woodlands.
Art activities in April 2019 will include:
- The Cynthia Woods Pavilion will commence its 30th Performing Arts Season this March 21, 2019.
- The Woodlands Arts Council is presenting The Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival at Town Green Park and The Woodlands Waterway on April 13-14, 2019.
- The Woodlands Township commences its evening Waterway Nights at Waterway Square every Saturday through March 2 and Concert-in-the-Park series at Northshore Park from March 3 and continues every Sunday through April 7.
- Glade Gallery will open a traditional exhibit during April 2019 of artists Devin Nelson and Alice Palmer, that will showcase paintings from their time in Florence
- Market Street-The Woodlands starts its Spring Concert series on April 11, 2019 and will run every Thursday evening until June 6, 2019 in Central Park and the 2019 Spring Fine Arts Show will take place May 4, 2019
- Numerous other arts organizations, schools, libraries, The Woodlands Children’s Museum, The Woodlands Township Parks and Recreation Department and private businesses will provide a plethora of performances, instruction, exhibits, shows and arts related functions during the month of April 2019
The Woodlands Christian Academy girls swim team TAPPS 4A State Championship
The Woodlands Christian Academy girls swim team recognized for the TAPPS 4A State Championship. February 27 was recognized as The Woodlands Christian Academy Girls Swim Team State Championship Day. Student team members individually introduced with their contributing roles at the state champpionship.
Texas Task Force 1 Appointments
Texas Task Force 1 (TX-TF1) new appointments were recognized and introduced by The Woodlands Fire Department. TX-TF1 functions as one of the 28 federal teams under the FEMA Urban Search and Rescue System and as a statewide urban search and rescue team under direction of the Texas Division of Emergency Management. TX-TF1 also coordinates the state’s swiftwater rescue program and the Helicopter Search and Rescue Team which works in conjunction with Texas Military Forces.
The Woodlands Township Parks and Recreation Department was selected as the award recipient for the 2019 Texas Gold Medal Award, Class II, presented to Director Chris Nunes. The Gold Medal Award is presented by the Texas Recreation and Park Society (TRAPS) to one agency in the state in each population category who stood out above all others to exemplify commitment and dedication in the field of recreation and parks.
The Township’s Parks and Recreation Department was also selected by TRAPS as the award recipient for the 2019 Promotions and Marketing Excellence Award, Class II. This award is in recognition of the department’s high- quality marketing program for the aquatics programs and services.
No public comments were made.
- Alden Bridge – Saturday April 13 – Spring Festival, Easter Egg Hunt, Inflatables. Funds raise money for scholarships. Next meeting March 19 featuring Chris Nunes. All are invited to attend.
- Cochran’s Crossing – Recent meeting including presentation over flooding, car burglaries, and community events. Annual Event at June 1 at Bear Branch Pool. Resident comments were made regarding races and marathons traffic and inconvenience caused for residents. Stuart Schroeder shared he would be retiring and received a standing ovation.
- Indian Springs – Meeting on March 5 due to Spring Break.
2019 Residential Survey
The 2018 survey mirrored the 2016 survey process. A survey was sent to 4,500 households and 1,200 completed surveys received back (24% response rate), online survey was also available. A summary was provided from the 256 page report. Transportation and incorporation were topics of interest among residents. The Township Board is looking for ways to boost response rate in the future.
Audio and Video Improvements from the Development Standards Committee
Staff has researched and evaluated improvement options for meeting room 150/152 rooms. There was an option presented to improve video or an option to improve audio. The most complaints received was from the audio quality. Request reviewed for DSC to use Board Chambers for meetings. Improvements would also benefit other groups that utilize 150/152 rooms. The best long term solution proposed was suggested to be for audio improvements.
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors recessed at 5:12 p.m.
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors reconvened at 6:08 p.m.
Financial Report for 2019
Financial Report for January and February 2019 stated.
- Fund all of reserves. $5.1 million in capitol in contingencies plan for reserves.
- Sales tax $51.7 million, 7 million higher than previous collection year.
- Hotel tax revenue $9 million, or 3.2% over previous year.
- Pressure on sales and hotel tax collection. No trends, still early in the year.
- Sales tax $350,000 lower than 2018, $594,000 under budget.
- 20 categories of sales tax. Retail tax, trade and food services – flat, not decreases. Down, cyclical, in manufacturing, oil and gas, and wholesale trade.
Watch a video recordings of the meeting at https://thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/778/Meeting-Videos
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors regularly meets on the fourth Wednesday of each month and the Thursday prior to the fourth Wednesday. Both meetings are typically held at 6 p.m. at The Woodlands Township, 2801 Technology Forest Boulevard, and are open to the public.
Planning sessions to discuss incorporation-related matters are scheduled for Wednesday, February 27 and Thursday, March 21. On these dates, the regular Board meeting will be held at 4 p.m. and the planning session will begin at 6 p.m. Additional planning sessions may be scheduled in the future. Read what happened at the February 27 Planning Session
For more information, agendas, meeting minutes, and video of the meeting, visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov.