Annual Angelman Syndrome Foundation “Walk” to go Virtual in 2021
THE WOODLANDS, TX – Normally held in person in The Woodlands each year, the annual Angelman Syndrome Foundation’s (ASF) Houston walk, themed “Heroes Unite!”, will be held virtually this year with events presented online May 1 through May 15.
Each year the fundraising walk has been hosted in 53 cities across the United States with more than 10,000 participating. Houston’s walk has been hosted in The Woodlands over the years before the COVID-19 pandemic.
The ASF is a nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of individuals with Angelman syndrome and their families through education and information, research and support. The ASF Walk raises funds for research aimed at finding treatments and a cure for Angelman syndrome and to provide direct support to individuals with Angelman syndrome and their families or caregivers. The ASF has funded 101 research grants totaling over $10 million.
Angelman syndrome is caused by the loss of function of a particular gene during fetal development, resulting in severe neurological impairment present at birth and lasting for a lifetime. Symptoms vary and include severe developmental delays, speech impairments, seizures, walking and balance disorders, and frequent laughter and excitability. While there is no definitive count, it is estimated that Angelman syndrome occurs in one in every 15,000 live births.
The lineup of events for this year’s virtual walk include:
- Saturday, May 1: National Online Auction Opens – 8 a.m. CST
- Bid to win great trips, jewelry, angel themed items, handcrafted designs, gift cards, and more!
- Saturday, May 8: Walk Kick-Off – FREE EVENT! – 10 a.m. CST
- Brief presentation, prizes, giveaways, & more to kick off your ASF Walk Week
- Sunday, May 9: Painting with a Twist – 6:30 p.m. CST
- Gift your Superhero Mom a 2-hour Painting with a Twist session! Invite friends and paint alongside other AS Moms across the country, sip your favorite beverage, and paint a masterpiece with new friends!
- Thursday, May 13: AS Panel Zoom Discussion with Clinicians and/or Researchers – FREE! – 7 p.m. CST
- Join us as we get the latest information from our renowned researchers and Clinicians: Jessica Duis, Ron Thibert, Elizabeth Berry Kravis, Mark Nespeca, and Sri Nangia
- Friday, May 14: HAPPY HOUR! – FREE! – 6:30 p.m. CST
- National Walk Zoom Happy Hour – 50 Breakout rooms. SEEING each other is what we miss the most! Meet and chat with all the other people who registered for your local walk! Hanging out virtually is the next best thing!
- Saturday, May 15: WALK DAY – SUPER CONTESTS
- Spread Super Hero Awareness & Win Prizes! Use this day to spread awareness in your neighborhood, city, and all over town
- Choose a fun ASF Walk Day Activity and coordinate with your teams to spread awareness and use #WalkforAngleman to spread awareness on social media platforms. Whatever you do, have fun, be safe and raise awareness of AS!
- ALL DAY Social Media Contest: Every time you use #WalkforAngelman for your video or photo social media posts – your team will be entered to win a $4,000 Abram’s Nation Bed or a Rifton Adaptive Bicycle for the AS Individual you are supporting!
- EVENING CELEBRATION ACTIVITY: Super Team Trivia Night – 6:30 p.m. CST
To register for the virtual walk events, visit www.angelman.org/walk and to make a donation, click the Houston, TX walk location tab. For more information, contact Diandra Chebul, walk coordinator, at email@example.com.
For more information about the ASF, visit www.angelman.org.