Township Transit, Energy Corridor District establish pilot commuter bus service
The Woodlands Township, in collaboration with The Energy Corridor District, will launch a pilot commuter bus service beginning on January 4, 2022.
The new service will depart from Sawdust Park and Ride and serve multiple stops along the Energy Corridor including Energy Center 1 & 2, Dairy Ashford at Shell Main Entrance, Eldridge at Energy Center 4 Drive (ConocoPhillips/McDermott), Memorial, Westlake at Gracie (BP #1), and Grisby at Helios (BP #2). The service will be offered Monday – Friday; the complete schedule and route map can be found online at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/parkandride.
Park and Ride tickets are available at a cost of $13 round-trip and must be purchased in advance for this service as drivers do not accept cash. Tickets may be purchased through The Woodlands Express Mobile Ticketing app or at any of the Park and Ride terminals. For more information on how to download and use the mobile ticketing app, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/1453/Mobile-Ticketing. Buses are filled on a first come, first served basis and only stop at designated locations.
“The Park and Ride System has been very successful over the years for our residents who work downtown and in the Medical Center,” said The Woodlands Township Chairman Gordy Bunch. “As many residents work in the Energy Corridor, this allows additional opportunities for our residents. We look forward to seeing how this service can progress for our residents.”
Funding for the new service is provided by The Woodlands Township’s receipt of a Congestion Management and Air Quality (CMAQ) grant from the Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC). The grant comprises 80 percent of the funding, with the Township and the Energy Corridor District entering into a local share funding partnership for the remaining 20 percent.
“The Woodlands Township is happy to partner with The Energy Corridor District to offer this new service for our riders,” said Deputy Director of Community Services Ruthanne Haut. “We hope that this expanded service will be of great value to our residents and local riders who work in the Energy Corridor, and we look forward to feedback about their experience.”
“The Energy Corridor is a major job center in the Houston region,” said The Energy Corridor District Executive Director Elijah Williams. “Improving mobility and commute experiences to benefit our employers and their employees has always been a goal for the District. With the approval of the interlocal agreement, the new The Woodlands Express-The Energy Corridor District Commuter Bus Service will commence in early January 2022. The convenience, cost savings and sustainability benefits offered through this new service expands access to the corridor and benefits mobility across the region.”
For more information about The Woodlands Township, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov or call 281-210-3800.
To learn more about The Energy Corridor District’s transportation services, please visit www.energycorridor.org or email Elizabeth Whitton, Transportation and Mobility Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: The Woodlands Township