Art & Culture
Conroe ISD Students’ Talent on Display at Western Art Show
CONROE, TX – Conroe ISD held its annual Western Art Show competition on Saturday, January 11, at Conroe High School 9th Grade Campus. The event, attended by an estimated 2,000 people, involved over 650 pieces of drawn and painted art in addition to over 40 sculptures all portraying a western theme.
Conroe ISD students in grades K-12 across all 64 campuses were showcased in the display prepared by District art teachers for judging. An independent panel of judges chose the top 25 high school, top 10 junior high, and top 10 elementary finalists to represent the District in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) Art Competition on Thursday, January 16th.
Students earned the following awards at the HLSR Art Competition:
- Best of CISD Show in Elementary (K-5): Amber De La Torre, Collins Intermediate
- Best of CISD Show in Middle School (6-8): Asher Vargas, Clark Intermediate
- Best of CISD Show in High School (9-12): Aloyé Young, The Woodlands High School
- Best of CISD Show in Sculpture (9-12): Kaitlyn Martin, The Woodlands College Park High School; Spencer Johnson, The Woodlands High School
- Gold Medal in CISD Show Elementary (K-5): Charlotte Major, Giesinger Elementary
- Gold Medal in CISD Show Middle School (6-8): Angel Cortes, Peet Junior High
- Gold Medal in CISD Show High School (9-12): Mia Robertson, The Woodlands College Park High School; Zhamanta Chavez Nava, The Woodlands High School 9th Grade Campus
- Gold Medal of HLSR in Sculpture (9-12): Bethany Groenemann, Grand Oaks High School; Sierra Wilson, The Woodlands College Park High School
Grand Oaks High School student, Bethany Groenemann, also competed against finalists in the Rodeo Quick Draw Competition and was awarded $750 as Full Figure Category Champion.
Conroe ISD Coordinator of Fine Arts Dr. Robert Horton commented, “We are extremely proud of our visual arts teachers and their students. The work that they do is exemplary, and we are grateful for the support of the parents, campuses, and community. We take great pride in the opportunity to showcase our student artists, and extend special congratulations to those whose work was selected for awards.”Best of Show and Gold Medal winners were selected to participate in the HLSR School Art Competition Auction. For a complete list of winners including images, please visit: conroeisd.net/department/ci/fine-arts.