Conroe ISD Launches Full Day Pre-K Pilot Program
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TX – Two Conroe ISD schools will participate in the district’s new full day pre-kindergarten (Pre-K) pilot program for the 2019/2020 school year. Houser Elementary, located in Oak Ridge North, and Sam Houston Elementary, located in Conroe, have been selected for the new program.
According to the Texas Education Agency (TEA), a district is required to offer a Pre-K program if they identify 15 or more eligible children. A district may offer (but not required) a three-year-old program to eligible children and the same criteria would apply. Age is always calculated as of September 1 of the current school year (for the purposes of establishing eligibility). To be eligible, a child must be at least four years of age by September 1 of the current school year and meet at least one of the criteria listed below:
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language.
- Be educationally disadvantaged, which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program.
- Be homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child’s guardian or other person having lawful control of the child.
- Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority.
- Be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty.
- Be in, or have been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code.
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer (3106.002), firefighter (3106.003), or emergency medical first responder (3106.004).
Requirements for registration:
- Birth Certificate – Students must be at least 4 years old on or before September 1, 2019.
- Proof of Residence – A current utility bill with parent/guardian’s name and address.
- Proof of Guardianship – Photo ID of parent or legal guardian.
- Child’s Social Security Card.
- Proof of immunization:
- Immunization Records:
• Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis – A minimum of four doses with the fourth dose given on or after the fourth birthday.
• Polio/Poliomyelitis – A minimum of three doses with the third dose given on or after the fourth birthday.
• Hepatitis A – A series of two doses with the first dose given on or after the first birthday.
• Hepatitis B – A series of three doses.
• MMR (Measles, Mumps, & Rubella) – Two doses with the first dose given on or after the first birthday.
• Varicella (Chicken Pox) – Two doses with the first dose given on or after the first birthday OR validation that the student had the disease.
- Pre-K students are required two immunization series not required for kindergarten or beyond:
• Hib – Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine.
• PCV – Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.
- Immunization Records:
Pre-K – 12th grade New Student Registration Day will be Saturday, August 3rd from 9:00 a.m. to noon at Irons Junior High, 16780 Needham Road, Conroe, Texas 77385.
The addresses and phone numbers of the participating schools are below:
|School||Houser Elementary||Sam Houston Elementary|
|Address||27370 Oak Ridge School Rd.|
Oak Ridge North, TX 77385
|1000 N Thompson St.|
Conroe, TX 77301
|Phone No.||(832) 663-4000||(936) 709-5100|
If you are unsure of the campus your child should attend, you may call Elementary Education at 936.709.7733 or check the CISD website at www.conroeisd.net and click the “Parents/Students” tab, then “Find Your Neighborhood School.”
Conroe ISD is a 348 square mile school district located in the Houston, Texas metropolitan area. The geographic areas of the District are diverse and include The Woodlands, Shenandoah, Oak Ridge North, Conroe, and Caney Creek, as well as several other smaller towns, communities, and unincorporated areas. Conroe ISD is one of the fastest growing school districts in the State with an average enrollment growth of approximately 1,500 students per year.
Sources: Conroe ISD, Texas Education Agency